Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Delayed gratification...?

When you are now at your midlife, and you are asking yourself 'What's the point?' I guess I do not have the answer right now. Coming from a poor family, graduated from government school, finished college, completed a degree, my academic result were fairly good. However that did not prepare me to the real world. Switched to different profession in my twelve years of working life, starting with drafting, construction, QS and now to real estate. Realized early that being an employee has its limitation. Began searching for new opportunity as soon as stepped into the working world.

'No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.' - Confucius

However, I have enjoyed reading books. One of the books that really opened up my mind is 'Rich Dad Poor Dad' by Robert Kiyosaki and some other books on investing, properties, etc. I began to participate in some workshops and seminars on motivation, internet marketing and investing. And finally I decided to focus on forex trading. I was determined to make it happen. But so far result has not been encouraging. Few of my friends stopped trading, some wiped out their trading account and some did not start. Quit my full time job to become a real estate negotiator in order to find more time to trade. Now facing the challenges of both the real estate business and the forex trading a bit overwhelming. And I hope I can overcome it.

'Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.' -Confucius

I would love to believe that I would succeed eventually. That this period of challenge is one short phase towards a fulfilling journey. I'd like to believe that this is a process of delayed gratification, that I would be able to get what I wanted if I persisted long enough. There was this
marshmallows test done long time ago on a group of children, which showed that children with better self-control often excelled in their life. Hoped that I made a right choice.

No comments:

Economic Calender

BBC News | Business | Economy | World Edition